- Elevators installed with more than four (4) inches of space between the hoistway door and elevator car door or gate can pose a risk of serious injury or death to children.
- If your home elevator has more than four (4) inches of space between its doors on any landing or floor, take steps to block children from accessing it until you are able to arrange for installation of Space Guards or other measures to reduce this space.
- Please click here for more information about the steps that you need to take to reduce the space between the hoistway door and elevator car door or gate.
- Take steps to protect children even if children do not live in your home. Children have been seriously injured or killed in vacation rentals or while visiting grandparents’ and other people’s homes equipped with an elevator.
- Never let a child ride in an elevator without an adult, and do not let children play on or around an elevator.
If you are a U.S. homeowner equipped with an elevator model furnished by ThyssenKrupp Access Manufacturing, LLC, ThyssenKrupp Access Corp., Access Industries, or National Wheel-O-Vator (jointly “thyssenkrupp Access”), please contact thyssenkrupp Access Corp. right away at 1-800-285-9862 (Toll-Free) or by email at email@example.com. If you have any questions about whether your thyssenkrupp Access Corp. home elevator is within the scope of this recall, please contact us immediately.
We will arrange for a free inspection to measure the space between the hoistway and elevator doors at each entrance to your elevator in order to determine the need for Space Guards. If needed, we will provide and pay for installation of a free Space Guard for each entrance of your home elevator.
Important Notice: Homeowners should never let children access or use an elevator without adult supervision. You should block children from accessing elevators until you are able to arrange for a free inspection and installation of space guards or other measures, if necessary.
A space guard is a safety device that attaches to the inside of the hoistway door and reduces the space between that door and the elevator car door or gate, thereby addressing the entrapment hazard. Space guards vary in size depending on the particular circumstances of your elevator installation and will be tailored to fit your home elevator. If no space guard is reasonably available that would reduce the space between the hoistway door and the elevator car door without impeding function of or access to the elevator, contact us to discuss alternatives. For more information, please visit our FAQ page.